Sunday, June 1, 2008

cauliflower jalapeno soup



this is one of my favorite soups. it's super easy to make, super low-fat, and really easy to make. It only takes about 30 min. all together.


shopping list:
1 head of cauliflower (i used brocciflower this time, because it was cheaper)
1 med onion (whatever kind you want)
2 jalapenos (this is to taste, i have a high tolerance for heat and sometimes use more than two)
1 to 2 medium potatoes (pref not yukon or russet, but I'm not sure it really matters)
2-6 cloves of garlic (whatever you like)
5-6 cups of chicken broth
olive oil

here's what you do:

1. Take a 5qt. dutch oven, I warm it up for about 5 min on medium.
2. I add about 3 tbsp. of olive oil and let that warm up for a minute or so.
i then add my garlic, crushed, minced, whatever... i just let it warm up for a min in the oil.
3. I then add my onion, again chopped to your preference (the smaller it is the easier to manage, you'll be blending it anyway.) Cook until onions are tender.
4. Add potato, the smaller the pieces the faster they will brown (i do live skins on.) Cook that for about 10 min.
5. Add 6 cups of chicken broth
6. Add your chopped up (small pieces) cauliflower and jalapeno
7. Let that simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Turn the heat off. I use my immersion blender and blend away.

tips:
most cookbooks will tell you to let the soup cool before you blend. this is a great idea in theory, but i am way to impatient for that and i take my chances w/ the hot liquid. That said... i do put a towel across my body, because it does tend to splatter no matter how hard i try.

add some grated cheese or cream to make it creamer, but i think you'll find it's fairly darn good on it's own.

you can substitute green chiles if you can't deal with spicy things.

this is the best chicken broth i've found and it doesn't take up space like the boxes do. the taste is divine.


No comments: